Earn More on Your Investment Today
If you have at least $500 to invest, Citadel Certificates, commonly referred to as CDs or Certificates of Deposit at other financial institutions, are a simple way to earn more and reach your savings goal sooner. Once the certificate matures, you can renew it or access your original investment, plus the return it earned. Choose a term, lock in a rate, and enjoy a guaranteed return on your investment.
With rates that are consistently higher than other financial institutions, you can enjoy a guaranteed return on your investment.
Easy to Open
Current customers can open a Certificate right from Online Banking. Simply select 'Open An Account' from the main menu, and follow the steps to open and fund your new Certificate.
Discuss your Options
Have a savings goal? We have a Certificate for that. Let us help you choose the best Certificate for your nest egg.
Certificates are a great way to save for many important things in life, such as:
- A New Car
- Home Repairs
- A Vacation
- A New Home
Invest in any Citadel Certificate with as little as $500
Certificate Laddering Calculator
Typically you can receive higher interest rates on a certificate if you invest for a longer period of time. However, this lack of liquidity causes many people to choose shorter-term certificates at the expense of receiving the higher interest rates. Certificate Laddering is a strategy that gives you the benefit of receiving the higher-interest crediting rates of longer term certificates but still provide you with some liquidity.
For example, rather than deposit $60,000 for a one-year period and renewing each year at a lower one-year rate, you could create a three-year ladder and put $20,000 in a one-year certificate, $20,000 in a two-year certificate and $20,000 in a three-year certificate at the higher interest rates. After the first year, you take the one-year certificate and purchase a new three-year certificate. After the second year, you take the initial two-year certificate and purchase a new three-year certificate, and do the same with the initial three-year certificate. Starting in year four, you will have the three certificates receiving the benefit of a three year rate but also have access to 1/3 of your money each year without penalty should you need it. Use this calculator to determine the additional interest you could earn with a Certificate Laddering strategy.
CD Information and Assumptions
Number of years for analysis (0 to 5)
Marginal tax bracket (0 to 75%)
Interest Compounding Frequency
CD Interest rates
One Year (0 to 12%)
Two Year (if applicable)
Three Year (if applicable)
Four Year (if applicable)
Five Year (if applicable)
- Citadel is committed to helping you protect your hard-earned money.
- All Citadel deposits are federally insured up to $250,000 per member by the National Credit Union Administration, an agency of the U.S. government.
- Communicate with us securely through our Online Banking secure messaging system.
Related Deals and Offers
Find an ATM or Branch Near You
Frequently Asked Questions
Unless Citadel is notified in advance, the Certificate will renew for the same term at the current interest rate for that term on that date.
Following the maturity date, there is 10-day grace period during which you can make changes to the term or deposit amount of the Certificate without penalty.
You have several options to view the maturity date of your Citadel Certificate:
- Log in to Online Banking and select your Certificate to view the details
- Call the Customer Service Center at (800) 666-0191
- Email Us
- Visit a Citadel branch
In addition, Citadel will mail a reminder to you approximately two weeks prior to the maturity date.
For a Certificate with a term of 12 months or less, 90 days of interest is assessed as a penalty.
For a Certificate with a term of more than 12 months, 180 days of interest is assessed as a penalty.
Multiple Certificates with different terms opened at that same time in order to get a higher tiered interest rate. This can be done by calling the Customer Service Center at (800) 666-0191 or visiting a Citadel branch.
Still have questions? Visit our help center.
Agreements and Disclosures
Information accurate as of and is subject to change without notice.
• All rates expressed as Annual Percentage Yield (APY)
• All Citadel accounts are federally insured to $250,000 or more by the National Credit Union Administration, an agency of the U.S. Government.
• Upon renewal, rates for laddered Certificates will be determined based on most current rate schedule.
• Minimum deposit of $500.
• Fees may reduce earnings on accounts.
• Early withdrawals on Certificates are subject to penalty. Citadel will impose a penalty if you withdraw any of the funds before the maturity date. The penalty imposed will equal 90 days of dividends on your account for account terms of one year or less and 180 days of dividends for accounts terms greater than one year.
Federally Insured by NCUA
Transaction Limitations. During any calendar month, You may not make more than six withdrawals from or transfers to another Credit Union Account of Yours or to a third party by means of a pre-authorized or automatic transfer or telephonic order or instruction, or by check, draft, debit card, if applicable, or similar order to a third party.