Each year, Citadel receives thousands of nominations to honor local teachers with the nationally recognized Citadel Heart of Learning Award.
About the Program
Citadel receives thousands of nominations every year for more than 1,200 teachers in Chester County.
Our team carefully reviews each nomination and selects 15 finalists:
- One teacher from each of the 13 area public school districts
- One teacher from the Chester County Intermediate Unit
- One teacher from a non-public school in Chester County (including charter and home-schools)
Each of the 15 finalists receives $500 to use in his or her classroom. From this group, three winners are selected:
- One high school teacher
- One middle school teacher
- One elementary school teacher
Each winner receives the Citadel Heart of Learning Award along with an additional $1,500 for use in the classroom.
To help promote the 2017-18 Citadel Heart of Learning award, check out our Marketing Toolkit.
Congratulations to the 2017 Grand Prize Winners!
Citadel is excited to introduce the 2017 Grand Prize Winners for the Citadel Heart of Learning Award!
Congratulations to all of the 2017 nominees!
Teachers with Heart
The Citadel Heart of Learning Award is a teaching excellence award that recognizes Chester County teachers who show dedication both in and out of the classroom.
Chester County students, parents, and community members are encouraged to nominate a deserving teacher who goes above and beyond the call of duty. Citadel awards 15 finalists and three overall winners with the Citadel Heart of Learning Award.
Recognition Through the Years
In 2001, Citadel partnered with the Chester County Intermediate Unit to establish a program that recognizes and honors Chester County teachers. Since its inception, the Citadel Heart of Learning Award program has recognized thousands of teachers for their tireless dedication to students and the community.
Follow #HeartofLearning for updates.
Learn more about the Citadel Heart of Learning Award program and why Citadel employees get involved.
Schools of Heart
After the nomination period ends, the Citadel Heart of Learning Award committee will tally the total number of nominations by school. The top three schools will earn cash for events or assemblies:
1st Place - $1500
2nd Place - $750
3rd Place - $500
For more information, contact us at CitadelHeartofLearning@CitadelBanking.com.
Citadel Heart of Learning Award Eligibility
- All nominees must be PA certified active teachers in a Chester County public school or a Chester County non-public school. Exceptions may include teachers in non-public schools who are not required to be certified, home school teachers, tutors, etc. Retired teachers are eligible as long as retirement date was at max, one year prior to award year.
- School districts located within Chester County that are included in the Citadel Heart of Learning Award are as follows: Avon, Grove, Coatesville Area, Downingtown Area, Great Valley, Kennett Consolidated, Octorara Area, Owen J. Roberts, Oxford Area, Phoenixville Area, Tredyffrin/Easttown, Twin Valley, Unionville-Chadds Ford and West Chester Area.
- For the purpose of the Citadel Heart of Learning Award, a public school shall be defined as a school under the jurisdiction of one of the public school districts listed above and which is publicly funded; employs staff that are required to be certified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education; and meet the policies, rules, and regulations of the Pennsylvania School Code.
- For the purpose of the Citadel Heart of Learning Award, Charter schools and home schools are categorized as Chester County non-public schools.
- For the purpose of the Citadel Heart of Learning Award, cyber school teachers will be eligible for nomination if the student or parent submitting the nomination resides in Chester County.
- All nominees must provide direct instruction to students in a classroom setting. This includes classroom teachers, subject teachers, certified teaching professionals who provide direct instruction to students, k-12, in a classroom setting, such as a reading specialist, speech therapist, learning support teacher, librarian, etc.