Awarding Teachers with Heart
Citadel Heart of Learning Award
Each year, Citadel receives thousands of nominations to honor local teachers with the nationally recognized Citadel Heart of Learning Award.
The District Winners for the 2019 Citadel Heart of Learning Award include:
ELEMENTARY SCHOOLDave Lichter: GRAND PRIZE WINNER
Penn London Elementary
Bradford Heights Elementary
Collegium Charter School
East Vincent Elementary
Honey Brook Elementary Center
MIDDLE SCHOOLJeffra Leo – GRAND PRIZE WINNER
Kennett Middle School
Scott Middle School
Fugett Middle School
HIGH SCHOOLCarynne Burnett – GRAND PRIZE WINNER
Oxford Area High School
Brandywine Virtual Academy
Octorara Area High School
Phoenixville Area High School
Conestoga High School
The heartfelt nominations for these 15 teachers were submitted by students, parents, school administrators, community members, and colleagues.
About the Program
Citadel receives thousands of nominations every year for more than 1,200 teachers in Chester County.
Our team carefully reviews each nomination and selects 15 finalists:
- One teacher from each of the 13 area public school districts
- One teacher from the Chester County Intermediate Unit
- One teacher from a non-public school in Chester County (including charter and home-schools)
Each of the 15 finalists receives $500 to use in his or her classroom. From this group, three winners are selected:
- One high school teacher
- One middle school teacher
- One elementary school teacher
Each winner receives the Citadel Heart of Learning Award along with an additional $1,500 for use in the classroom.
Teachers with Heart
The Citadel Heart of Learning Award is a teaching excellence award that recognizes Chester County teachers who show dedication both in and out of the classroom.
Chester County students, parents, and community members are encouraged to nominate a deserving teacher who goes above and beyond the call of duty. Citadel awards 15 finalists and three overall winners with the Citadel Heart of Learning Award.
Recognition Through the Years
In 2001, Citadel partnered with the Chester County Intermediate Unit to establish a program that recognizes and honors Chester County teachers. Since its inception, the Citadel Heart of Learning Award program has recognized thousands of teachers for their tireless dedication to students and the community.
Citadel has been honoring local educators for nearly 20 years. Learn more about why we started the program and hear from some of the teachers we’ve honored.
For more information, contact us at CitadelHeartofLearning@CitadelBanking.com.
Meet the Teachers
Meet the 2019 Citadel Heart of Learning Award winners. Each year, Citadel honors 15 teachers in Chester County with this prestigious award. We are proud to honor these great educators in our community for their hard work and dedication!
Are Teachers Superheroes?
On May 7, 2019 Citadel honored 15 teachers with the Citadel Heart of Learning Award. These 15 educators from across Chester County are selected for going above and beyond for their students. We are proud to recognize these everyday superheroes for their hard work and dedication in the classroom.
You Are A Superhero
Each year, Citadel proudly recognizes 15 educators from across Chester County for excellence in the classroom. Our 2019 honorees represent nearly 1,200 educators from more than 2,300 nominations for the 2019 Citadel Heart of Learning Award. These teachers shape the leaders of tomorrow and our future. We are truly thankful for each of these everyday superheroes.
Schools of Heart
After the nomination period ends, the Citadel Heart of Learning Award committee will tally the total number of nominations by school. The top three schools will earn cash for events or assemblies:
1st Place - $1500
2nd Place - $750
3rd Place - $500
Learn more about Citadel's charitable donations and the ways we give back.Explore Now
Citadel Heart of Learning Award Eligibility
- All nominees must be PA certified active teachers in a Chester County public school or a Chester County non-public school. Exceptions may include teachers in non-public schools who are not required to be certified, home school teachers, tutors, etc. Retired teachers are eligible as long as retirement date was at max, one year prior to award year.
- School districts located within Chester County that are included in the Citadel Heart of Learning Award are as follows: Avon, Grove, Coatesville Area, Downingtown Area, Great Valley, Kennett Consolidated, Octorara Area, Owen J. Roberts, Oxford Area, Phoenixville Area, Tredyffrin/Easttown, Twin Valley, Unionville-Chadds Ford and West Chester Area.
- For the purpose of the Citadel Heart of Learning Award, a public school shall be defined as a school under the jurisdiction of one of the public school districts listed above and which is publicly funded; employs staff that are required to be certified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education; and meet the policies, rules, and regulations of the Pennsylvania School Code.
- For the purpose of the Citadel Heart of Learning Award, Charter schools and home schools are categorized as Chester County non-public schools.
- For the purpose of the Citadel Heart of Learning Award, cyber school teachers will be eligible for nomination if the student or parent submitting the nomination resides in Chester County.
- All nominees must provide direct instruction to students in a classroom setting. This includes classroom teachers, subject teachers, certified teaching professionals who provide direct instruction to students, k-12, in a classroom setting, such as a reading specialist, speech therapist, learning support teacher, librarian, etc.