COMING SOON: We’re introducing a new look for Citadel’s brand!
Over the next few weeks, you may see some changes on our website, as well as Online and Mobile Banking. As a valued member, we'll keep you informed as we start rolling out changes. Learn More
Awarding Teachers with Heart
Citadel Heart of Learning Award
Each year, Citadel receives thousands of nominations to honor local teachers with the nationally recognized Citadel Heart of Learning Award.
About the Program
Citadel receives thousands of nominations every year for more than 1,200 teachers in Chester County.
Our team carefully reviews each nomination and selects 15 finalists:
- One teacher from each of the 13 area public school districts
- One teacher from the Chester County Intermediate Unit
- One teacher from a non-public school in Chester County (including charter and home-schools)
Each of the 15 finalists receives $500 to use in his or her classroom. From this group, three winners are selected:
- One high school teacher
- One middle school teacher
- One elementary school teacher
Each winner receives the Citadel Heart of Learning Award along with an additional $1,500 for use in the classroom. Nominate your teacher today!
Teachers with Heart
The Citadel Heart of Learning Award is a teaching excellence award that recognizes Chester County teachers who show dedication both in and out of the classroom.
Chester County students, parents, and community members are encouraged to nominate a deserving teacher who goes above and beyond the call of duty. Citadel awards 15 finalists and three overall winners with the Citadel Heart of Learning Award.
Recognition Through the Years
In 2001, Citadel partnered with the Chester County Intermediate Unit to establish a program that recognizes and honors Chester County teachers. Since its inception, the Citadel Heart of Learning Award program has recognized thousands of teachers for their tireless dedication to students and the community.
2019-2020 District Nominees
This year we received 2,700 nominations for teachers in Chester County. Join us in congratulating the 2019-2020 Citadel Heart of Learning District Nominees. Click the links below to view and download the list of nominees for each school district.
- Avon Grove School District
- Chester County Intermediate Unit
- Coatesville Area School District
- Downingtown Area School District
- Great Valley School District
- Kennett Consolidated School District
- Octorara Area School District
- Owen J. Roberts School District
- Oxford Area School District
- Phoenixville Area School District
- Tredyffrin-Easttown School District
- Twin Valley School District
- Unionville/Chadds Ford School District
- West Chester School District
Citadel has been honoring local educators for nearly 20 years. Learn more about why we started the program and hear from some of the teachers we’ve honored.
For more information, contact us at CitadelHeartofLearning@CitadelBanking.com.
Citadel Celebrates Teachers for Being Everyday Superheroes
We know life has looked a little bit different lately. Along with the challenges, there have been joys and triumphs. We recognize teachers everywhere for being everyday superheroes and for supporting their students during this difficult time. This year's awards ceremonies looked a bit different, but we still wanted to recognize the 2019-2020 winners and nominees for all that do for their students and our community.
2020 Citadel Heart of Learning Awards Ceremony
This year's Citadel Heart of Learning Awards ceremony looked a bit different. On May 19, we livestreamed the Citadel Heart of Learning Award ceremony. The Facebook Live event was held to honor the 2019-2020 Citadel Heart of Learning Award District Winners and announce the three Grand Prize Winners. Tune in to find out who this year's Grand Winners are. Plus hear from the teachers, parents, and students who nominated this year's District Winners.
Hosted by: Citadel's Mike Schnably and the Chester County Intermediate Unit's George Fiore.
Learn more about Citadel's charitable donations and the ways we give back.Explore Now
Citadel Heart of Learning Award Eligibility
- All nominees must be PA certified active teachers in a Chester County public school or a Chester County non-public school. Exceptions may include teachers in non-public schools who are not required to be certified, home school teachers, tutors, etc. Retired teachers are eligible as long as retirement date was at max, one year prior to award year.
- School districts located within Chester County that are included in the Citadel Heart of Learning Award are as follows: Avon, Grove, Coatesville Area, Downingtown Area, Great Valley, Kennett Consolidated, Octorara Area, Owen J. Roberts, Oxford Area, Phoenixville Area, Tredyffrin/Easttown, Twin Valley, Unionville-Chadds Ford and West Chester Area.
- For the purpose of the Citadel Heart of Learning Award, a public school shall be defined as a school under the jurisdiction of one of the public school districts listed above and which is publicly funded; employs staff that are required to be certified by the Pennsylvania Department of Education; and meet the policies, rules, and regulations of the Pennsylvania School Code.
- For the purpose of the Citadel Heart of Learning Award, Charter schools and home schools are categorized as Chester County non-public schools.
- For the purpose of the Citadel Heart of Learning Award, cyber school teachers will be eligible for nomination if the student or parent submitting the nomination resides in Chester County.
- All nominees must provide direct instruction to students in a classroom setting. This includes classroom teachers, subject teachers, certified teaching professionals who provide direct instruction to students, k-12, in a classroom setting, such as a reading specialist, speech therapist, learning support teacher, librarian, etc.