What happens with a joint account when the primary or joint owner is deceased?
Frequently Asked Question
- ✔ All loans and additional documentation that may be required will be reviewed and handled by our Collections Department. They can be contacted at (866) 739-0070. Note: Co-borrowers may only receive loan information.
- ✔ Checks can still be written on the account.
- ✔ If the joint owner is not the legal spouse, the account must be closed to ensure accurate tax reporting. The joint owner can open a new account in their name.
- ✔ Inheritance tax will be reported for Pennsylvania residents that are not the spouse and the account balance was over $300.00.
- ✔ Billers of the deceased can be moved only to a spouse’s Bill Payer, upon request.