Free and Secure
Free Checking Account
Citadel offers a Free Checking account with benefits and features that make banking easier, safer, and more rewarding. You will enjoy built-in conveniences and flexibility such as Mobile Deposit, Card Control, no minimum balances and more!
New to Citadel? We're glad you're here! Our Free Checking account offers a convenient and simple application process that will make your experience fast and easy. You can easily open an account online in minutes by answering a few simple questions. Open now!
Current members can also open additional accounts and apply for loans through Online and Mobile Banking at any time. Simply select 'Open an Account' from the 'Accounts' menu to open. Get started!
Not currently enrolled in Online Banking? No problem! Enroll now.
No Minimum Balance
There’s no monthly fee on this account—even if your balance is $0.1
24/7 Banking Convenience
Manage your everyday banking needs right at your fingertips with Online and Mobile Banking – deposit checks, transfer funds and more!
If your account has insufficient funds to cover a check or transaction, we can help.2
Why Choose Citadel?
Citadel is a not-for-profit credit union that exists to serve the people, businesses, and neighborhoods of Greater Philadelphia, so they can prosper. We provide our members with all things banking, plus the educational resources and guidance to build and maintain financial security.
Here’s why you should join us:
Better rates & low (or no!) fees
No tricks or hidden selling tactics
Personalized banking experiences, online & in-person
Open to anyone who lives or spends time in Southeast PA
All you need to do is open a $5 savings account to join
- Available for teenagers starting at age 13 to begin developing smart spending skills
- Contactless Debit Card - simply Tap & Go™ wherever you see the contactless symbol at checkout
- Enjoy all of the great Mastercard benefits. Use it at ATMs and everywhere Mastercard is accepted
- Control your cards with Card Control
- See which accounts are connected to your card by selecting "Debit/Credit Card Details" under "Manage Cards" in Online and Mobile Banking
- ATM Access - Check your balance and withdraw cash with zero fees or surcharges at any Citadel branch location, and access surcharge-free ATM networks across the country. Find a branch or ATM
- Online and Mobile Banking with Mobile Deposit – Manage your accounts, set alerts, transfer money, pay bills, and more
- eStatements – Save money by choosing secure electronic delivery. View statements any time, from any device
- Direct Deposit – Get your funds quickly with automatic deposit into your account
- Overdraft Protection – Enjoy overdraft protection from a Citadel savings or loan account2
- To review all of the product features, check out our Product Guide
- Looking for more features in a checking account? Give us your feedback.
Ready to speak with a representative about Free Checking?Schedule Appointment
Each balance inquiry at non-Citadel ATMs
Each ATM withdrawal at non-Citadel ATMs3
Paper account statement fee (excludes ages under 21 and age 70 years of age and older)
Each overdraft transfer from your savings or loan account2
Monthly inactivity fee1
Courtesy Pay overdraft protection fee2
Non-sufficient funds (NSF) fee
- Citadel is committed to helping you protect your hard-earned money.
- All Citadel deposits are federally insured up to $250,000 per member by the National Credit Union Administration, an agency of the United States government.
- Communicate with us securely through our Online Banking secure messaging system.
- Your Citadel Debit Mastercard carries EMV chip technology for greater protection against unauthorized use.
- Automated fraud alerts can notify you about possible fraudulent activity on your account.
*Free Checking Account Disclosures
All standard account requirements apply. Information accurate as of and subject to change without notice. Offers may be modified or withdrawn at any time. Fees may reduce earnings.
1 A $5 monthly inactivity fee will apply if there is no activity on any Citadel account for one year – this fee is waived if combined balance of all deposit accounts is $500 or more. Fee does not apply to primary account holders less than 13 years of age. Inactivity is defined as a 365-day period during which there were no customer-initiated transactions on any Citadel account.
2 Citadel offers several overdraft protection options including Courtesy Pay and automatic transfers from a Citadel savings or loan account. An overdraft occurs when the available balance in your account is not sufficient to cover a transaction. Citadel offers several options for you to avoid the extra expenses caused by a bounced check or insufficient funds. These include: transferring funds from a Citadel Savings and/or Money Market Account; advancing funds from a Citadel Personal Line of Credit; and Courtesy Pay. Citadel offers Courtesy Pay for its members and may pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions: checks, ACH withdrawals, Bill Payer payments, and/or recurring debit card transactions (e.g., monthly payments debited from your account). As a Citadel member, if you have a checking account and qualify, you will automatically be enrolled in Courtesy Pay when you open your account. If you wish to use one of the other options, which may be free or less expensive than Courtesy Pay, you can sign up at any time. We pay overdrafts at our discretion, which means we do not guarantee that we will always authorize and pay any type of transaction. If we do not pay an overdraft, your transaction will be declined and not paid. If you want to use Courtesy Pay to pay overdrafts for one time, everyday debit card transactions (e.g. Starbucks®, Home Depot®, grocery stores, gas stations, etc.), you must opt in and give us your permission. You can opt in by: completing the opt-in form in Online and Mobile Banking by selecting 'Courtesy Pay' under 'Accounts' in the main menu; visiting any Citadel Branch; calling Citadel toll free at (800) 666-0191; or you cannot use Courtesy Pay to pay for overdrafts on ATM withdrawals. For a complete list of fees associated with overdrafts, please refer to Citadel’s fee schedule.
When you use Courtesy Pay, we will charge you a fee of $33 each time we pay an overdraft. There is no limit on the amount of total fees we can charge you for over drafting your account. Any fees charged will count against your Courtesy Pay limit. For information on Citadel's check clearing policies, please contact us at (800) 666-0191. You can opt out of Courtesy Pay at any time. Please visit any branch, or contact us at the toll free number above.
3 ATM transactions at non-Citadel ATMs may be subject to a surcharge from the ATM owner. For a list of ATMs with no surcharge, visit Citadelbanking.com/atm.