Free and Rewarding
Citadel’s FREE Checking account has benefits and features that make banking easier, safer, and more rewarding.
To open an account online, all you need is 5-10 minutes. Before you begin, gather your information. You will need this information for both primary and joint applicants:
- Social Security Number
- Government-issued ID
- Date of Birth
- Email Address
- Home Address
- Phone Number
No Minimum Balance
There’s no monthly fee on this account—even if your balance is $0.
Debit card purchases can earn you rewards like cash back, merchandise, and more.
If your account has insufficient funds to cover a check or transaction, we can help.**
- Citadel Debit MasterCard® – Use it at ATMs and wherever MasterCard is accepted.
- ATM Access – Enjoy no fees or surcharges at branches and with 38 Citadel-branded ATMs in select retail locations. In addition, enjoy access to surcharge-free networks across the country. Find a branch or ATM.
- Online & Mobile Banking with Mobile Deposit – Manage your accounts, set alerts, transfer money, pay bills, and more.
- eStatements – Save money by choosing secure electronic delivery. View statements any time, from any device.
- Direct Deposit – Get your funds quickly with automatic deposit into your account.
- Overdraft Protection – Enjoy overdraft protection from a Citadel savings or loan account.
Earn points everyday purchases and payments when you use your Citadel Debit MasterCard®Learn More
Each balance inquiry at non-Citadel ATMs
Each ATM withdrawal at non-Citadel ATMs
Paper account statement fee (excludes ages under 21 and age 70 years of age and older)
Each overdraft transfer from your savings or loan account**
Monthly inactivity fee***
Courtesy Pay overdraft protection fee**
- Citadel is committed to helping you protect your hard-earned money.
- All Citadel deposits are federally insured up to $250,000 per member by the National Credit Union Administration, an agency of the United States government. Communicate with us securely through our Online Banking secure messaging system.
- Your Citadel Debit MasterCard carries EMV chip technology for greater protection against unauthorized use.
- Automated fraud alerts can notify you about possible fraudulent activity on your account.
Remote Mobile Deposit
Learn how to deposit checks on your phone using Remote Mobile Deposit. Start depositing money into your account by simply taking a picture of your paper check while using the mobile app today. It's fast, easy, and secure!
*Free Checking Account Disclosures
Information accurate as of and is subject to change without notice. All rates expressed as Annual Percentage Yield (APY).
**Important Information about Overdrafts and Overdraft Fees:
An overdraft occurs when you do not have enough money in your checking account to cover a transaction, but we pay it anyway. Citadel offers several options for you to avoid the potential embarrassment and extra expenses caused by a bounced check or insufficient funds. These include:
• Transferring funds from a Citadel Savings and/or Money Market Account
• Advancing funds from a Citadel Personal Line of Credit
• Courtesy Pay
As a Citadel member, if you have a checking account and qualify, you will automatically be enrolled in Courtesy Pay when you open your account. If you wish to use one of the other options, which may be free or less expensive than Courtesy Pay, you can sign up at any time. To learn more, please ask a Citadel Representative. For a complete list of fees associated with overdrafts, please refer to Citadel’s fee schedule.
This notice refers to our Courtesy Pay program:
Citadel offers Courtesy Pay for its members and may pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions:
• ACH withdrawals
• Bill Payer payments
• Recurring debit card transactions (e.g., monthly payments debited from your account)
We pay overdrafts at our discretion, which means we do not guarantee that we will always authorize and pay any type of transaction. If we do not pay an overdraft, your transaction will be declined and not paid.
If you want to use Courtesy Pay to pay overdrafts for one time, everyday debit card transactions (e.g. Starbucks®, the supermarket, Home Depot®), you must opt in and give us your permission. You can opt in by:
• Completing the Opt-In Form and clicking "submit".
• Visiting any Citadel Branch Office
• Calling Citadel toll free at (800)-666-0191
You cannot use Courtesy Pay to pay for overdrafts on ATM withdrawals.
When you use Courtesy Pay, we will charge you a fee of $33 each time we pay an overdraft. There is no limit on the amount of total fees we can charge you for overdrafting your account. Any fees charged will count against your Courtesy Pay limit. For information on Citadel’s check clearing policies, please contact us at (800)-666-0191. You can opt out of Courtesy Pay at any time. Please visit any branch, or contact us at the toll free number above.
A $5.00 monthly inactivity fee will apply if there is no activity on any Citadel account for one year—this fee is waived if combined balance of all deposit accounts is $500 or more. Fee does not apply to primary account owners less than 13 years of age. Inactivity is defined as a 365-day period during which there were no customer-initiated transactions on any Citadel account in which case a $5 inactivity fee will be applied to each checking, savings, and money market account, if the combined balance of all deposit accounts is less than $500.
This limited time offer may be withdrawn at any time. All standard account requirements apply. $50 minimum deposit to open account. The offer may not be combined with any other offer. Bonus rewards points available to new checking customers only; One offer per household, per lifetime. Customer must not have closed a Citadel checking account within the last 12 months. To receive bonus rewards points customer must contact Citadel by calling (877) 780-1615 or visit a branch after making a minimum of three (3) signature-based transactions using their Citadel debit card within 30 days after account opening. Bonus reward points will be awarded within 60 days after Citadel confirms the requirements have been met. Bonus points must be requested within 6 months of meeting the promotion requirements. There is 5 year expiration on unredeemed points. Earn one (1) point for every $3 of signature-based transactions with your Citadel Debit MasterCard®. 250 Reward points cash redemption value accurate as of and subject to change. Redemption values differ depending on the redemption category.
Federally Insured by NCUA.